Monday, May 8, 2017

Day in the Life | 9 Month Old

I always love reading about a day-in-the-life of other mommas in the world.  I guess it's my little way of checking, "Am I doing this whole thing right?!".  A relative was over last night and asked if I'm still pumping/nursing and if the doctors tell me when to stop.  I explained how it's all a personal decision and while it's nice that no one tells you what to do, it's almost hard at the same time as a first time mom.

So I hope this is helpful for at least one person out there!

For some background - I'm a full-time working mom while my son enjoys the day at a local in-home daycare.  I exclusively pumped for 8+ months but just started supplementing one bottle of formula a day.  I'll do a future post about introducing formula + the brand I use (he loves it!).  Our son started purees/solids at 6 months and is now eating 3 meals a day.  He's a little guy and doesn't eat/drink much.  We offer him milk all the time but he clearly tells us when he's had enough!


Day in the Life of a Working Mom
9 Month old Breastfed + formula supplement Baby



6:00am - Mom + Dad wake up!  Shower, eat breakfast (eggs or cereal), makeup, hair...

7/7:30am - Son wakes up.  Some mornings I have to wake him up and some mornings he wakes himself up.  Either way, I make sure he's awake by 7:30am.

7:30am - Change his diaper and feed him 5-7oz formula (I offer 8oz but he usually stops around 5-6oz unless he's going through a growth spurt).  I pump for 20 minutes while he's eating and playing (...and by "playing", I mean distracting him from grabbing my pump tubes!).

8:00am - Wash pump parts, bottles, and quickly get us both dressed for the day.  Dad leave for work.

8:15am - Drop son off at daycare.  Fortunately, he loves it there!  I don't know what I would do if he cried when I was leaving.  He just immediately smiles when I hand him to the sitters and starts playing with all his friends.  Thank goodness!! :)

8:30am - Son eats breakfast at daycare.  Breakfast is usually oatmeal + fruit puree.

8:45/9:00am - Mom arrives to work.  Work, work, work...

9:00-10:30am - Son naps at daycare.

9:30am - Mom enjoys snack.  Usually oatmeal, nuts, or yogurt + granola.

11:00am - Son drinks 4-5oz pumped milk.

12:00pm - Lunch for Mom.  Usually a salad with grilled chicken or leftovers from dinner the night before.

12:30pm - Son enjoys lunch.  I have to be honest here.  I used to make all his meals but then he started turning his nose up at my meals and devouring the organic pouches from the store.  So I just feed him those pouches.  Today he's enjoying Ella's Kitchen Organic Spaghetti and Meatballs!

1:00pm - This bottle is hit/miss.  Sometimes he needs 4oz pumped milk at this time.  Sometimes he doesn't.

1:00-3:30pm - Son naps at daycare.  We are so lucky...he's a good napper!

1:00/2:00pm - Mom takes 20 minute pump break at work.

3:30pm - Son drinks 4-5oz pumped milk.

4:00pm - Mom leaves work and picks son up from daycareHe's just recently started crawling from the opposite side of the room to me once he hears my voice.  He crawls right up to me and gives me lots of hugs and love.  It's honestly the BEST part of my day!!           
 
4:30-5:30pm - Get home, walk the dog (needy dog won't use backyard....annoying!), unpack bags, boil/sterilize daycare bottles, get dinner ready, play with son...this hour is kinda crazy hour in our house!

5:00pm - Son usually "snacks" on milk and has anywhere between 2-4oz.  I always offer 4oz.

5:30pm - Dad gets home from work.

6:00pm - We all eat dinner.  Son eats another pouch + puffs.  We're working on his chewing.  He still kinda chokes, which is so scary.  We also give him his sippy cup and he loves drinking filtered water from it!  If we have our dinner ready at this time, we'll eat.  Otherwise, we just wait until after we put him to sleep.  I would say we all eat together about 75% of the time.

6:30pm - Bedtime routine = bath, PJs, bottle (6-7oz pumped milk), book, story time with Dad.  This story time with Dad just started last week and we love it!  It's pretty much the only time of day that they can just bond 1:1 together.  We were struggling with the 9 month sleep regression (son would cry when we put him down in his crib.  Once he fell asleep, he was fine.) and Momma was feeling stressed about everything that still had to get done.  So this changed seemed to work for all of us!

7:00pm - Son asleep.  We are so blessed and have one AMAZING sleeper!  Since day 1, he knew day from night and started sleeping through the night around 12 weeks or so.  I'm sure if we ever have a Baby #2, we won't be so lucky!  He usually sleeps 12 hours straight (7pm-7am).

7:00/9:00pm - Mom and Dad spend time together, get things done around the house (clean, trash, random projects...), check work emails, Mom gets daycare bottles + food ready for the next day.

9:00pm - Mom pumps 20 minutes.

9:30-10:00pm - Read personal emails, scroll through Instagram (I need to be better at FaceBook...), Google random things, such as, "How to survive the 9 month sleep regression", "How many ounces of milk should my 9 month old be drinking per day?"....

10:00pm - Lights out for this momma :)

_________________________________

I hope this helps someone out there!  My day is not perfect and my son probably doesn't drink enough milk (20-24oz) throughout the day compared to his peers but you know what?  We're surviving, enjoying as much time together as possible, and we have 6+ wet diapers/day so I consider it to be a win!  My question for you - what do you do from 4:30-6:30pm to keep the house from getting so chaotic? 


No comments:

Post a Comment