Thursday, September 8, 2016

Surviving the First Month | Must Have Baby Products

It feels like just the other day that we were adding hundreds of items to our baby registry.  We didn't really know what we needed but here is a list (I linked the actual products we have) of many of the products we couldn't live without for that first month of parenthood...



General Items 

Wash cloths: Who knew you could go through so many wash cloths?  Well, all mommas must know this because our momma friends got these for us and I can't thank them enough!  Doesn't matter the brand...just get yourself lots of wash cloths!

Swing: We have a swing in our living room/kitchen area and it's so handy to place our sweet boy in when we're making breakfast or cooking dinner.  He loves to swing and look outside.

Boba Wrap:  This lightweight wrap has been used multiple times every single day.  He loves it!  Momma loves it because I can actually get things done when he wants to be held!  Laundry, dishes, make dinner, eat dinner, walks around the neighborhood...you name it!

Aden and Anais Swaddle blankets: We cannot go a day without these.  They are perfect for summer time babies!  Swaddle with them, use them as blankets, cover their carseat when you're out in public, use as a nursing cover, use as a burp cloth....


Feeding/Breastfeeding

Bottle Brush: This brush works perfectly to clean all the bottles after each feeding.

Boon Grass Drying Rack: We even used this for our own dishes before our sweet boy joined us!  This is so perfect to dry all the bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.

Medela Storage Bags: I tried the Lansinoh Storage bags and didn't like them.  They were too big.  We like the Medela ones.  Although, I never go by the measurement on the bag, I measure the milk in a bottle before I pour into the bag.

Nursing Pads:  I literally haven't gone a day without wearing these!

Dr. Browns Bottles:  I had no idea what kind of bottles to register for.  These are our absolute favorite and help with colic/gas as well.  Our guy is pretty gassy in the afternoon/evening.

Electric Breastpump: We tried breastfeeding for the first couple weeks but our sweet boy wasn't latching right and he wasn't getting enough fuel.  We decided to start exclusively pumping (not easy!).  I did order a Pump and Style Advanced through insurance but it wasn't working well enough for us in the beginning.  I rented the Symphony Breastpump from our pediatrician and LOVE it!  It wasn't hard to spend the $75/mo to rent because we figure we would be spending more than that to cover the cost of formula without it..  I will try the Pump and Style Advance model before I return back to work since it's a lot smaller and my milk supply should be fully established by then.


Sleeping

Long-Sleeve Sidesnap shirt: I never thought we'd use long sleeved shirts especially since he was born in the summer.  However, these are perfect to use as pajamas under the SwaddleMe blanket.  The hospital used these types of shirts and I definitely stole about 5 from the hospital and ended up buying more when we got home!

SwaddleMe: Our little boy is STRONG and breaks through any swaddle my husband and I put him in.  These velcro SwaddleMe blankets are perfect for naps and overnight and he usually doesn't break through them.  Sometimes he does.  It's perfect for those first few weeks/months when he still has the startle reflex.

Rock N Play: I researched Googled a ton before our boy arrived to learn the best sleeping options.  We knew we wanted him in our room for the first few months.  We didn't want him in our actual bed but right beside it.  I was tossing between the Pack n Play (flat surface) and the Rock n Play.  He absolutely loves the Rock N Play and is such an amazing sleeper since day 1 - he's like his momma and likes his 9pm bedtime.  Right now he's waking up about twice during the night but we put him right back in his Rock N Play after feedings and he soothes himself back to sleep.  We actually don't use the rocking or music at all - I didn't want him to become used to sleeping with the rocking action.  We have enough of a challenge on our plate transitioning him to the flat surface and eventually his crib.


Changing/Diapers

Changing Pad: I guess any changing pad will do but I like this one because it has four sides to it.

Newborn Diapers (worn until ~4 weeks): We use the Pampers Swaddlers and haven't had any issues with diaper rash or anything.  Our little guy was born at 6lbs. 3oz and ended up wearing the Newborn size until about week 4.  It would be helpful to have plenty of Size 1 ready to go as well!


Going Out & About

Graco SnugRider: This might be my most favorite product.  I didn't register for this and ended up buying it about a week after our son was born.  I use this just about every single day for running errands, going to doctor's appointments, walking baby + dog around the neighborhood.  We have a larger jogging stroller as well which is much smoother of a ride but this SnugRider is so lightweight and small - it's perfect for running errands alone with the baby.  In my opinion, a small cart like this to carry the carseat is a must!

Pacifier: I wasn't sure if I would use a pacifier but I registered for a couple anyways.  Thank goodness we did because sometimes it's the only thing that will soothe him.  We have three total and I always make sure to keep one in his diaper bag just in case he gets fussy while we're out.

Portable noise machine: This thing is amazing!  We have it attached to his carseat and whenever we go out for a car ride or walk around the neighborhood I play the beach waves and 9 times out of 10 he falls right asleep.

Portable Changing Kit: We've used this so many times during the first few weeks.  It's amazing how many doctor's appointments you have to get to those first few weeks.  I find this helpful to have diapers and everything ready to go in one convenient place.

Carseat: A carseat is a must.  We have this Graco  SnugRide Click Connect 35LX one and it's great - super lightweight and safe.

Newborn Clothes: Again, our little guy was 6lbs. 3oz. so he wore newborn clothes for the first three weeks or so.  I wasn't sure how many newborn clothes to buy but I'm glad we bought the simple white onsies and a few pairs of pants.



I hope you find this helpful.  I'm sure every baby is different but these are the must have products we definitely could not have lived without!

Now time to soak in all this newborn-ness!!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment